Ah, the beloved hot cross bun, popping up throughout the country during Easter, they’re always just that little bit more special this time of year. Lightly toasted and liberally spread with lashings of butter, is there anything better? The answer is yes!
Say hello to our leftover hot cross buns French toast recipe where those heavenly spiced, yet sometimes forgotten about, buns are given a new lease of life. You won’t dream about throwing out any stray buns this Easter with this deliciously simple leftover hot cross bun recipe.
Leftover hot cross buns French toast
- 4 Hot cross buns
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 250 ml milk or almond milk
- 10-15 g butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- A pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Cut each bun into 2slices and using a cup or a small bowl, gently press them down for a few seconds.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, cinnamon powder, and nutmeg.
- Heat a non-stick pan over low/medium heat and melt approx. 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Dip 2 or 4 slices of buns at the same time into the egg mixture until they are well-coated on both sides. Remove any excess and cook 2 or 4 slices at a time, based on the size of your pan. Cook the slices until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve warm with your favourite toppings.
While you could also use fresh Hot Cross Buns for this recipe, it works better with stale buns. It’s the perfect way to give new life to the lonely buns left in your pantry after Easter or to save those who were forgotten on the table overnight. Watch the full video of the recipe here.
Why stop there? Have an extra special Easter with Eatto!🌟
With the Easter break upon us, here’s a list of Eatto favourites to make your Easter extra special!
- Meatballs in a rustic tomato sauce – made with 100% Irish beef
- Cauliflower and sweet potato butter curry – one of our most popular vegetarian main meals
- Chicken fried rice for kids – with Irish chicken, long grain rice and finely diced veggies
- Smoothie taster pack – a selection of 6 smoothies
- Chocolate brownie with hazelnut – deliciously decadent and gluten-free
- Energy balls – with gluten-free oats and toasted seeds
Hop to it for a no-stress Easter break with Eatto.ie 🐇