Sweet Potato and Lentil Dahl (DF, GF, Vegan)
Soulful and comforting sweet potato & lentil dahl recipe that is simple to make and full of fragrant Indian spices.Allergens: celery
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic crushed
- 2 tsp ground ginger or ginger paste
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 400 g sweet potato cut into even chunks (regular potato will work too)
- 250 g red split lentils
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 80 g bag of spinach
- 4 spring onions sliced to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a wide-based pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add 1 finely chopped red onion and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add 1 crushed garlic clove, the ginger paste and the red chilli, cook for 1 minute, then add the ground turmeric, ground cumin and cook for 1 minute more.
- Turn up the heat to medium, add the sweet potatoes and stir everything together so the potato is coated in the spice mixture.
- Pour in the red lentils, 600ml vegetable stock and some seasoning.
- Bring the liquid to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes until the lentils are tender and the potato is just holding its shape.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, then gently stir in the 80g spinach. Once wilted, top with the sliced spring onions and serve.