This decorated cupcake recipe isn’t nearly as difficult to create as you might think. Take a look and try your hand at this cupcake recipe perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or other special occasions!
Green Velvet Cupcakes
We know all about red velvet cupcakes but this St.Patrick's day we're going green with some delicious green velvet vanilla cupcakes topped with a festive green cream cheese icing!Allergens: gluten, egg, milk
- 150 g butter unsalted and softened
- 150 g caster sugar
- 135 g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Few drops green food colouring
Cream Cheese Icing
- 70 g cream cheese
- 70 g butter unsalted, softened
- 250 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Few drops green food colouring (optional)
- green sprinkles
- chocolate coins
- rainbow candy strips
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160° and line your cupcake tin with 12 cases.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in the green food colouring a little at a time until you achieve a relatively bright green.
- Gradually add the eggs and vanilla, mixing well after each addition to help prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and carefully fold in until just incorporated. Check the colour is the desired shade of green - add slightly more colouring if required.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases until they are ⅔ full.
- Place in the over for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the cakes spring back when touched.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat together the cream cheese and softened butter before adding in the lemon juice. Gradually add in the icing sugar, beating well until combined and smooth.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled pipe the icing onto the top of each cake and decorate with your chosen sprinkles, chocolate coins or candy rainbow strips.